art news

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 20 20:37:47 PDT 2001

[reported last June...full text at <http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/35/36/lead.html>]

[...]

Another local talent from the school of "better out than in" is Keith Boadwee. Boadwee became something of a name with shock jocks across the country for his enema paintings, which are a backhanded homage to Jackson Pollock - rather as Andy Warhol's Brillo Boxes are a catty swipe at Donald Judd's huge and weighty sculptures. For the enema paintings Boadwee would lay on his back and squirt paint into the frame. He used egg tempera so it would bind to the canvas but also so it "wouldn't fucking kill me!"

The first show to gain him attention in the city was at San Francisco Camerawork. It featured his "Butthole Targets," which were based on Jasper Johns's target paintings. "I had read an article that said Jasper Johns is a gay painter, and these were just surrogate assholes," Boadwee said. That sort of analysis seemed kind of ridiculous to Boadwee, so he decided he would paint real butthole targets. "I gotta take that dialogue somewhere interesting at least," Boadwee said. His work clearly plays well to the MTV crowd, but he claims that the difference between him and, say, Tom Green is context.

[...]