United Mine Workers of America

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Aug 21 15:09:21 PDT 2001

Henry Howell disappeared in my recollection when Charles Robb started a succession of conservative Democratic victories for the governorship (gubernatorium?). He was followed by Doug Wilder (black, no less) and some foregettable dude. Not till Mary Sue Terry tried to succeed them did the Repugs take back the state house (with the exceptionally odious George Allen, now a senator after beating Robb; at least Robb beat Ollie North).

VA is changing marginally. Northern Va is more yuppified -- families want public services like schools and roads. Allen ran as less right wing then previously.

Bush nailed Gore in WVA in guns and coal, far as I can see. It's hard to imagine any progress on global warming or conservation that doesn't hurt coal miners, even when properly analyzed.

mbs

No doubt, but I spent 3 years in Virginia, in lovely Charlottesville, and it was one of the most conservative places I've ever seen. It didn't seem to have much of a Southern populist streak (except maybe for Henry Howell, is that his name? whatever happened to him?). I remember some undergrads celebrating after the '76 election, when Virginia was (about?) the only southern state to go for Ford over Carter. "We *are* the most conservative state in the country," ejaculated one. I saw no reason to doubt him.

W Va is a pretty different ball of wax - but it went for Bush, didn't it? Was it just that the UMW and the coal industry didn't like Mr Ozone?

Doug