United Mine Workers of America

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 21 14:48:54 PDT 2001

Thomas Seay wrote:

>Wait a minute...I grew up in West Virginia, but
>did go to school at University of Virginia.
>Certainly there were LOTs of people on our side
>in West Virginia...and when I was in the Communist
>Workers Party in the late 70s early 80s there was
>communist work being done both in the Tidewater region
>of Virginia as well as in the mine regions of
>southwestern Virginia.

No doubt, but I spent 3 years in Virginia, in lovely Charlottesville, and it was one of the most conservative places I've ever seen. It didn't seem to have much of a Southern populist streak (except maybe for Henry Howell, is that his name? whatever happened to him?). I remember some undergrads celebrating after the '76 election, when Virginia was (about?) the only southern state to go for Ford over Carter. "We *are* the most conservative state in the country," ejaculated one. I saw no reason to doubt him.

W Va is a pretty different ball of wax - but it went for Bush, didn't it? Was it just that the UMW and the coal industry didn't like Mr Ozone?

Doug