The Professor of Complacence," if the philosopher Richard Rorty...

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 22 09:41:11 PDT 2001

This week in the magazine http://www.thenewrepublic.com/082001/blackburn082001.html , Simon Blackburn wonders, in "The Professor of Complacence," if the philosopher Richard Rorty really believes that walking around a golf course is as bad as walking around Auschwitz. Probably not, but "Rorty is just the militant tendency of contemporary pragmatism," Blackburn writes, "the Hezbollah of our disenchanted culture." William James, who "invented pragmatism as a favor to Charles Peirce," Louis Menand writes in his excellent new book The Metaphysical Club, might have been surprised by the development of the philosophy that has come down from Peirce, Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Dewey, and James himself. (I get the impression that Peirce would have been less befuddled; he seems to have been considerably more bloody-minded.) The Metaphysical Club, a history of those four thinkers and the wave of post-Civil-War American intellectual history they commanded, is one of those rare books that manages to combine a magisterial sweep of thought with a light touch; it is wonderfully entertaining without ever compromising. --Dan Halpern, TNR Online