Anti-science

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Aug 22 14:38:58 PDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:47:28 -0700 "Lawrence" <lawrence at krubner.com> writes:
> > Please elaborate. Do you mean to say that alternative medicine is
> > primitivistic clap trap or what?
> > Joanna Bujes
>
> I don't think it's one or the other, either/or. However, wouldn't
> you agree
> that there is sometimes an anti-science bias in new age/alternative
> med
> circles?

As in many such controversies, there is truth to be found on both sides. There is much to be said for the critique of conventional medicine that is offered by the advocates of alternative medicine for the reasons cited by Lawrence. The pressure to maximize profits often leads to pharmaceutical companies to ignore herbs that are know to be efficacious because there is little or no profits to be made, in attempting to get these medications approved for sale by the FDA as validated medications. There are strong pressures to ignore or downplay the preventive side of medicine for similar reasons.

On the other hand, it is also evident that many of the enthusiasts for alternative medicine (including some of those who are themselves MDs) seem to have little appreciation for and/or knowledge of the scientific method. All sorts of claims are accepted on the basis of anecdotal evidence. And they ignore the mounds of carefully accumulated evidence concerning the efficacy of modern medical interventions. Also, and perhaps most importantly, alternative medicine advocates seem to have great difficulty in drawing distinctions between scientific medicine, per se, and the distorted forms in which it often exists within capitalist societies. In this respect, the critique of modern medicine which is offered by many advocates of alternative medicine mirrors the critiques that romantic critics of industrialism have been offering for the past couple hundred years. And like the romantic critics of industrialism, there seems to be a failure to appreciate the extent to which the inadequacies of modern medicine like the inadequacies of existing industrial societies are due to the distortions that capitalism imposes upon it.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.