anti science

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Aug 23 10:21:22 PDT 2001

At 06:17 PM 08/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> > Please elaborate. Do you mean to say that alternative medicine is
> > primitivistic clap trap or what?
> > Joanna Bujes
>
>I don't think it's one or the other, either/or. However, wouldn't you agree
>that there is sometimes an anti-science bias in new age/alternative med
>circles? Or, if not anti-science, at least anti the scientific
>establishment? I'm not saying there isn't some warrant for it, sometimes the
>scientific establishment is wrong. Vaccines have been given out that have
>harmed children. Drugs have been approved that were dangerous. Herbs of
>known usefulness (garlic keeps down cholesterol) are unrated by the FDA.

Alternative medicine IS anti-scientific-establishment..but that is a good thing. Particularly in these days when coporations increasingly define what medical problems are worth investigating and what treatments are worth pursuing.

Some people have a set idea that western medicine is empirically based whereas alternative medicine is not. I don't think that's true. So, I tend to react to the alternative medicine=anti-science argument.

Joanna