Strike!

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Thu Aug 23 12:29:13 PDT 2001

[Aren't a lot of these guys lawyers?]

[NYT] AUG 23, 2001 Officials in N.F.L. Consider Job Action By MIKE FREEMAN

National Football League referees have become so frustrated by what they feel is the league's arrogant stance during negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement that a small group of them has discussed staging some form of protest at this week's preseason games.

According to two referees, who asked not to be identified, discussions of a possible protest have increased in the last few days as negotiations between the league and the representatives of the 119 on-field referees have soured. The two sides are far apart, and yesterday the N.F.L. began the process of hiring replacement referees when it sent contractual letters to more than 100 potential replacements who have officiated in NFL Europe, the Arena League and college. These officials would work two games for $4,000 and be paid whether a settlement is reached or not, a league official with knowledge of the talks said.

The idea of a protest by referees has circulated more out of anger, the two referees said, and by the time the weekend approaches, cooler heads will probably prevail and no action will be taken.

Still, there have been detailed discussions about what form the protest might take. The officials refused to give details but the referees could potentially do anything from arriving late for games to staging a brief walkout while action was taking place on the field.

When asked if he felt some sort of protest was likely, the agent for the referees, Tom Condon, said: "No. Any talk like that is out of frustration only."

But throughout the summer, as negotiations between the league and the referees' union produced little progress, some referees wanted to boycott mandatory officiating clinics and camps, the referees said. Union leaders, however, asked that no such action be taken.

"Guys are just frustrated," one referee said. "We're going to be professional about this entire situation. I won't rule out a protest this week but it probably won't happen."

That such an idea even surfaced indicates the gulf in negotiations between the N.F.L. and its on-field officials. While both sides remain optimistic that a settlement can be reached before the regular season starts on Sept. 9, the referees and the league are also preparing for an ugly battle that could begin when the N.F.L. hires hundreds of replacements.

"This could potentially be a huge problem," said the Baltimore Ravens' owner, Art Modell. "I've been through replacement players and I don't want to go through replacement officials. But we have no choice."

Condon said: "We're disappointed they are taking this approach. But it is their prerogative. We are still going to try and settle this thing even if it takes up until right before the season starts."

A decision whether or not to lock out the officials could be made next week, a league official said, meaning that this week's preseason games could be the last the regular referees officiate for days, if not longer.

When asked if a lockout would sour negotiations, Condon said: "No. We'll just keep trying to move forward."

On Monday, the N.F.L. declared after a four-hour negotiating session in New York that the sides were far apart.

The officials say they are the lowest paid in sports on a yearly basis and that their jobs are now year round, even though many officials hold full-time positions in other professions.

The N.F.L. countered that the new deal it offered would almost double the referees' current salaries by 2003, and increases salaries by more than 100 percent in the last year of a five-year contract. The referees have rejected that offer.

According to the N.F.L., under the old agreement, which covered 1994 through 2000, a fifth-year official would receive $42,395 this year; under the new agreement, the league said, the official would have earned $62,103 this year and $84,870 in 2003. A 10th year official would earn $64,215 this year under the old agreement; under the new one that official would earn $95,000 this year and $128,400 in 2003.