Racist Comedy?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 24 10:16:06 PDT 2001

Ian writes:

> > Does it make you sad or angry or both to see that freedom of speech
>> in the USA is quite often reduced to a matter of freedom to use
>> ethnic & racial slurs, to tell ethnic & racial jokes, etc.? Well,
>if
>> you don't like that, "you have no sense of humor."
>>
>> Yoshie
>=========
>Show me a non-authoritarian procedure for eliminating the desire of
>human beings to inflict emotional harms with words that leaves our
>comedic powers intact, if not substantially enlarged and I'll sign up!
>:-)

There is a deeply authoritarian streak in many whites' insistence that if we don't find ethnic & racial slurs, ethnic & racial jokes, etc. funny, we must have no sense of humor & may be even a bit dense, especially when such "cool brothers" as Chris Rock & Samuel Jackson (_Hollywood Shuffle_ indeed!) are there to reassure everyone that the said whites are no racists.

Yoshie