Compassionate Cannibalism

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Fri Aug 24 22:28:56 PDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

> I always thoguht of cannibalism as more of a myth and
> no real evidence of ritualistic cannibalism existed.
> I guess I was wrong...KRD

This is a bit late, but anyway....

See also _Kuru Sorcery_, Shirley Lindenbaum, 1979, an ethnography of the Fore people of Papau New Guinea, who suffered from Kuru, a rare neurological disorder. According to the book Kuru was being transmitted due to the ritual cannibalism involving eating the brains of deceased relatives.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 icq: 120941588

If the jury feels the law is unjust, we recognize the undisputed power of the jury to acquit, even if its verdict is contrary to the law as given by a judge, and contrary to the evidence.

-4th Circuit Court of Appeals, US v Moylan, 1969