Populism

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sun Aug 26 11:40:56 PDT 2001

Max write:

> The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The students are acting in
> solidarity with workers' movements. Populism is, and has always been,
> all over the place. A small biz owner may rail against big capital,
> but would also oppose OSHA and minimum wage laws. Doug
>
> - ------------
>
> "We declare, therefore:
> First. That the union of, the labor forces in
> the United States this day consummated shall
> be permanent and perpetual; may its spirit
> enter into all hearts for the salvation of
> the republic and the uplifting of mankind.
> . . . The interests of rural and civic labor
> are the same; their enemies are identical."
>
> Ignatius Donnelly
> St. Louis
> Preamble to the Populist Party Platform, 1892

>From the same document, "resolutions expressive of the sentiment of this
Convention", #4...

"Resolved, that we condemn the fallacy of protecting American labor under the present system, which opens our ports to the paupers and criminal classes of the world and crowds out our wage earners; and we denounce the present ineffective laws against contract labor, and demand the further restriction of undesirable emigration."

Max, that's Grandpa and Grandma Sawicky they're thinking (unkindly) about...

john mage