Goodwyn on the present, or 1989

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 27 10:05:24 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>How would you characterize the current petty bourgeosie? Are you using
>it as a synonym for "petty producers," or does it have some other
>content?

I'm using it broadly, perhaps recklessly, to cover small business owners and independent professionals, who feel squeezed by big capital but want to see themselves as distinct from the working class. I think middle managers share some aspects of the p.b. mindset, sometimes acting/thinking like workers and sometimes like bosses.

Doug