Populism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 26 13:00:50 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> >See how forgiving I am.
>
> They're not with you on fiscal policy either:
>
> [clip]
>
> >We believe that the money of the country should be kept as much as
> >possible in the hands of the people, [clip]

Perhaps it does go back to Jackson:

"No where so well deposited as in the pants of the people, Walth ain't," said President Jackson. They give the union five years... Bank did not produce uniform currency.. they wd. import grain rather than grow it.. Bank of England failed to prevent uses of credit...

"In Banking corporations" said Mr Webster "the "interests of the rich and the poor are happily blended." Said Van Buren to Mr Clay: "If you will give me "A pinch of your excellent Maccoboy snuff..." In Europe often by private houses, without assistance of banks Relief is got not by increase

but by diminution of debt.

Pound, Canto 37

Carrol

P.S. Note to Ian: "Minorities" and "elites" are not necessarily (or even probably) the same. In fact, majorities are almost always assembled by elites.