racist comedy (aside)

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 08:52:54 PDT 2001

--- Dennis <dperrin13 at mediaone.net> wrote: >
> > dd
>
> Where in "The Fountainhead" is there anything like "Springtime for Hitler"?

The holiday resort he designed, during one of the duller bits about two thirds of the way through. Shortly after the Temple of Humanity debacle, a group of businesmen, under the opinion that Roark is the worst architect in history, commission him to design a holdiay resort which they have sold several times over, in the belief that he will design something so hideous that it will flop immediately, etc,etc. He in fact does design something hideous, but it's really individualistic and Objectivist, so loads of fine, intelligent people come to stay, meaning that the fraud is exposed. Just like in the Producers.

I'm currently writing a review of the fountainhead for a chum's website, basically focusing on Rand's criminal abuse of authorial fiat in constantly providing prose descriptions of buildings that are quite clearly obviously horrible, but then to baldly assert that they were beautiful. I'm calling it "For Fuck's Sake, Why Didn't He Just Build Bridges?"

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell