racist comedy (aside)

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Aug 28 09:32:01 PDT 2001

> The holiday resort he designed, during one of the duller bits about two
thirds
> of the way through. Shortly after the Temple of Humanity debacle, a group
of
> businesmen, under the opinion that Roark is the worst architect in
history,
> commission him to design a holdiay resort which they have sold several
times
> over, in the belief that he will design something so hideous that it will
flop
> immediately, etc,etc. He in fact does design something hideous, but it's
> really individualistic and Objectivist, so loads of fine, intelligent
people
> come to stay, meaning that the fraud is exposed. Just like in the
Producers.

> dd

Ah, you meant the book of "Fountainhead." I was referring to the King Vidor film with Gary Cooper as Roark (screenplay by Rand). The film is one of my favs, filled with turgid dialog and hammy acting complete with overdone dramatic musical stings. The part of the plot you're referring to doesn't appear in the film; and since "The Producers" is also a film, I was thinking in terms of pure cinematic theft.

I confess I've only skimmed the book (but did read Roark's big courtroom speech). Rand was a very bad writer, and my eyes droop quickly when exposed to her prose.

DP