Open Source capitalists

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Tue Aug 28 13:22:50 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Operating systems are the railroads of the
> Third Millenium, and you are the sharecroppers.

I spent the better part of last night at the coffee shop reading a handful of 1882-vintage Minneapolis newspapers (I prefer them to the new ones), and the parallels between then and now vis-a-vis railroads and techs are fascinating.

Each daily issue of the paper has a prominent "The Railroads" section right up on the first or second page, with detailed information about expansion, mergers, stock prices, personnel changes, etc. It's deja-vu in reverse - almost creepy.

Of course I also spent a good deal of time poring over the classified ads - a nice 8-room cottage, centrally located near the mighty Mississippi (i.e., on a block now occupied by two or three 40 story buildings and a soon-to-be light rail station) for a couple of thousand and change. And then there was the story about how Mr. something-or-other's horse ran wild on Nicollet Avenue...

--

/ dave /