A first -

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Aug 30 19:49:21 PDT 2001

Now here is a first -- appeals to two Republicans to do something about low wages for in home support services workers.

Marta

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/cbasaas/petition.html

To: President George W. Bush and Senator Arlen Specter (PA)

Petition to Establish a National Policy for Providing a Living Wage for Community-based Attendant Services

submitted by

People Who Rely on

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Attendant Services

We believe that

• Disability is a natural part of human life; and

• Assistance from others often is necessary for individuals with significant disabilities of all ages to participate in and contribute to

society.

At present, there is no national policy to ensure a living wage for those who provide assistance to individuals with disabilities. Many

workers who are attendants receive

o poverty-level wages;

o no benefits, such as paid vacation, sick or personal days, days off like anyone else who works, health insurance or retirement

benefits;

o little recognition for the difficulty and immense importance of the work they do; and,

o minimal career advancement opportunities or pay raises.

We further believe that if we value people with disabilities, we must value those who provide the assistance that makes their lives

and futures possible by assuring a living wage and decent employment benefits. snip --