lbo-talk-digest V1 #5362

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sun Dec 2 06:09:13 PST 2001

Brett said, in response to the burka/feminism/whether I secretly want to sexually abuse my girlfriend thread:

A good point. But my impression from reading the mainstream media is that there has been a lot of commentary on the treatment of women under the Taliban (burkas, no chance to be educated or earn a living), but not so much on those of the NA (I assume because the NA are now officially our friends). For example, the Oprah show which my mom taped about the fate of women in Afghanistan didn't mention the treatment of women under the NA at all, or what happened in Kabul from '92 to '96. I don't know if feminists have engaged in this one-sideded focus. RAWA certainly hasn't. ---------------

This is the impression I get from what I've seen of mainstream US opinion, a focus on the misdeeds of the Taliban and a lack of acknowledgment of probably even worse crimes committed by the NA, and an inability to recogize that sexism is deeply rooted in Afghan culture and that subjugation of women is likely going to take place in ANY Afghan government (which is why I think we shoudl stop worrying about things like whether or not women in Afgh. are not going to have to wear veils -- they are -- and concentrate more on making sure the best group of bastards comes to power instead of the worse groups of bastards, and certainly not supporting the latter.) (Bastards in our opinion, of course.)

Of course, I don't live in the US and my exposure to US media is limited to what I see on the Internet, so my take on things may be inaccurate.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal