Blum on rebuilding Afghanistan

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 2 17:21:27 PST 2001

>From: Dennis Robert Redmond <dredmond at efn.org>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Blum on rebuilding Afghanistan
>Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:35:57 -0800 (PST)
>
>On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Mina Kumar wrote:
>
> > Really? I had the impression that it was the US gov't controlled by
>rentier
> > thugs that sets immigration policy. And I'd suggest that it's entirely
> > clear if translations of Vietnamese poets into English counts as
> > reconstruction.
>
>The 1 million plus Vietnamese immigrants in the US and Canada regularly
>send hundreds of millions of dollars to their families, which is a sort of
>unofficial form of reparations.

OK, so in return for bombing your country, we will let you come here and work for us and send money to your family. that's a "sort of unofficial form of reparations." In any case, this doesn't address the point I made above about US gov't v people.

The US workingclass has a fine tradition
>of regarding the US government as something between ringworm and foot
>fungus,

Yeah, generally when the Feds try to mollify black folk by enforcing a law or two.

and for all the racism and xenophobia in US society, there's
>remarkable tolerance and multicultural solidarity, too -- something the
>EU, for all its good points, still has a long way to go to match.

There is remarkable tolerance, in the sense that white people often forbear to say what they would have said twenty years ago, but they'll say it given a chance, which I've had a chance to observe post-S11, and this knowledge makes the notion of multicultural solidarity laughable. You can resist what I'm telling you, and try to exculpate the white working class, but let me quote someone else's response: