Blum on rebuilding Afghanistan

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Dec 3 16:39:50 PST 2001

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Mina Kumar wrote:

> OK, so in return for bombing your country, we will let you come here

But there's no such thing as "we" -- what people do on the local level is a direct contradiction to what our elites promulgate. The violence of elites is never, ever the same thing as the passions of the plebians.

> There is remarkable tolerance, in the sense that white people often forbear
> to say what they would have said twenty years ago, but they'll say it given
> a chance, which I've had a chance to observe post-S11, and this knowledge
> makes the notion of multicultural solidarity laughable.

I live in an African-American neighborhood in DC, and all sorts of Latino Americans, Asian Americans and many other folks live reasonably happy lives and usually get along. That says something profoundly positive about the latent potential of the US working-class.

-- Dennis