Again,

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:16:05 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 10:14 AM Subject: Re: Again,

> Explain how it is an empirical question, except in the broad Quinean sense
> that all questions are empirical.

The "uninteresting empirical question" is not in reference to the abstract matter of whether one agent can be a better judge of what's good for another person than the person herself (which I take to be obviously true, and I think most every parent on this list would agree), but the application of the principle to my alleged sexism.

> In any case, you
> are drawing your circle too tightly. This way has gone a long way towards
> destroying civil liberties in America, not just for aliens, and it's not
> going to stop there. Where does that go on your calculus? jks

Is the restriction of civil liberties a function of the war, or an independant response on the part of the Bushies that would've occurred regardless of any military actions? I'll admit that I have a hard time calculating the value of civil liberties. The communist/consequentialist within me wants to say that their importance pales in comparison to overall material well-being, of which freedom is only a single ingredient.

-- Luke