Israel Cabinet 7 for and 7 against toppling Arafat....plusIsrael Turns Palestinian Towns into Prisons

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Dec 4 12:14:51 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seth Ackerman" <sia at nyc.rr.com>

Nathan Newman wrote: -Wow, "roughly half" the Democrats publicly condemned the Shamir government? -You know who else did? George Bush and James Baker. It was the most -internationally reviled government in Israeli history, it routinely said -fuck you to US policies. I'm surprised only half the Democrats criticized -it.

The discussion was about differences between Dems and GOP; while half of Dem Senators condemned Shamir and demanded negotiations on returning land to the Palestianians in exchange for peace, only a handful of GOP Senators signed the public letter. Note that a lot of GOP Senators were criticizing Bush senior at the same period for giving to much to the Palestinians. 1988 was the period when the GOP in the House raised Gingrich to his initial house leadership position as whip.

>Bonior - granted - is a lot better. But man...talk about an outlier. He has
>a heavily Muslim district. Whereas even Democrats with no Jews in their
>districts are rabidly pro-Israel.

And yet a large majority of those "rapid" pro-Israel Congresspeople voted to make Bonior the second-ranked Dem in the House. AIPAC was obviously asleep that day, and every two years after that when Bonior was reelected.

-- Nathan Newman