Israel Cabinet 7 for and 7 against toppling Arafat....plusIsrael Turns Palestinian Towns into Prisons

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Tue Dec 4 12:51:09 PST 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> And yet a large majority of those "rapid" pro-Israel Congresspeople voted
> make Bonior the second-ranked Dem in the House. AIPAC was obviously
asleep
> that day, and every two years after that when Bonior was reelected.

It's amazing how you can seize on a footnote to a footnote and declare that it's the big story. Can you tell me what practical effect Rep. David Bonior's election to the post of House minority whip has exerted on the course of US policy in the Middle East? Bill Clinton appointed an AIPAC lobbyist as special envoy to the Middle East and another AIPAC lobbyist as NSC director of the Israel-Palestinian negotiations. These things had a measurable effect. But while David Bonior may be a nice guy, his name will never even appear in the index of a book about the history of US Mideast policy.

Seth