Fw: Why I'm leaving the NY Coalition for Peace and Justice

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Dec 5 04:49:10 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Jannuzi" <jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp>

'Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org
>I'm so glad the union and civil rights >movements didn't have this kind of
>arrogance and instead recognized they >had to figure out how to build
>majorities for their goals out of the real >existing majorities that
existed
>at any point in time.

-Whose arrogance? One has to wonder what sort of pomposity it takes to turn -oneself into a .org.

Cute- check out netidentity.com were tens of thousands of people rent their names for simple email addresses. I'd hate to try to tell someone your email address in a rush.

-But back to the thread. Doug's arrogance for creating a fictional loony left -voice and mocking it? My arrogance for stating a fairly obvious point of US -history? Or your arrogance for apparently replying to a different thread?

What obvious point? That some leftists like the satisfaction of being an embattled minority rather than actually strategizing on how to appeal to working majorities that can actually accomplish something politically?

>Oh, just suppose you were on point. Let's look at that point. Trade
>unionism? How has current trade unionism tried to embrace a majority? Has
it
>tried to unionize and fight for health care for fast food, retail workers
>and part-timers all over the US? Fuck no!

Ahhh... I understand. You don't know what you are talking about. Since you know nothing about half a century of organizing by unions to organize for universal health care, you're excuse is ignorance.