The Left's "Silver Lining"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 5 07:26:44 PST 2001

On another thread, Doug wrote:

>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>>A pretty good summary of why the NYC Coalition against the war has lost most
>>of the mass participation is started with. A lot of folks said- hey, we
>>started small in Vietnam and look how big we are starting now! But the
>>reality is that, like during the Gulf War, the mobilizations started
>>moderate sized and shrank.
>>
>>That has been the pattern of antiwar organizing-- appeal to the converted to
>>get a big initial turnout and then see the movement shrink as it fails to
>>recruit new converts to the antiwar cause.
>
>But you don't understand, Nathan! You don't win adherents by trying
>to appeal to them - that's vulgar marketing. They'll join when the
>social order begins collapsing and we wise leftists turn out to have
>all the answers. Right now, those who don't realize that Uncle Sam
>is a thug are a lost cause - benighted racists in the pay of
>imperialism. Forget them, and just concentrate on herding the cadre.
>
>Doug

Apparently, Doug wants to have it both ways: criticizing anti-war leftists for "preaching to the choir" first; and criticizing civil liberties activists for making temporary coalitions with rightists, rather than only "preaching to the choir." Having it both ways is good when it comes to sex, but it doesn't make for a coherent argument. :-0 -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>