The Left's "Silver Lining"

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Dec 5 07:56:24 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>Apparently, Doug wants to have it both ways: criticizing anti-war
>leftists for "preaching to the choir" first; and criticizing civil
>liberties activists for making temporary coalitions with rightists,
>rather than only "preaching to the choir." Having it both ways is
>good when it comes to sex, but it doesn't make for a coherent
>argument. :-0

No, what Doug is highlighting is that many leftists are happy to ally with the extreme Right in bashing the government over civil liberties, but won't attempt to make less narrow appeals on the war to bring wavering liberals to an antiwar position.

As Doug notes, Cockburn is paid well to bash liberals by the rightwing New York Press. How that serves progressive politics is beyond me.

-- Nathan Newman