lbo-talk-digest-after-swallowing

Angelita Manzano angiemanzano at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 09:37:54 PST 2001

--- brettk at unicacorp.com wrote:

> that - did Chris? My recollection is that he said
> feminists (unspecified
> as to who they were) have been guilty of focusing on
> the burka, and posted
> an article about a female Afghan general.

i was just trying to get you all to clarify--are "The Western Feminists" harpin' on the burqua? or is it really the mainstream media & anthropologists (who sit around and ponder "what does the veil really mean?" while women are getting acid thrown in their faces &organizing revolutionary movements . . .)

If you would like to know how US feminists are organizing with women in other parts of the world, just ask us :) I can take criticism, & learn from it, if it is fair. I agree w/a lot criticism of the Fem. Majority Foundation, for example. But its not fair for people who are not involved in these movements to accuse us of "harping on burquas" and "saving our brown sisters," when they really have no idea what we're doing, & when they base their criticism on mainstream media's (and anthropologists who aren't involved in activism)interpretations of feminism.

and ya know, you *can* support feminism AND oppose imperialism, racism.

===== Angie Manzano off our backs magazine 2337B 18th St NW Washington, DC 20009 ph: 202-234-8072/202-682-4000 fax: 202-234-8092 http://www.igc.org/oob