Herman responds

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:36:54 PST 2001

Doug, I think Herman's snippiness was more than justified given that the post he responded to attributed a number of really awful views to him he did not hold.

If someone accused you of supporting Osmama bin-Laden, of being an apologist for Saddam, I bet you would get a bit snippy too.

Herman seems to hold the view that a number of murderous thugs who are being called fascist are evil murderous thugs who do not fit the definition of fascist. Even if he is wrong - this does not make him an apologist for evil murderous thugs, just wrong about the definition of "facist"

Also people are giving Herman a hard time for praising a post by Louis P. Now Louis P has extremely weird views on a number of issues, and some

perosnality quirks too; but he is also extremely bright, and is quite capable of writing well on particular subjects without the weirdness showing.

I would not judge something written by LP without seeing it - since it could range anywhere from completely bonkers to really first rate.