lbo-talk-digest-after-swallowing

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:46:30 PST 2001

>From: "Todd Archer" <todda39 at hotmail.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: lbo-talk-digest-after-swallowing
>Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 23:44:39 -0500
>
>True, but if a person of colour calls me or someone I admire or whose works
>I read a racist/sexist I want to know why. Seems only fair to ask the
>critic to explain him/herself. And yes, you're right: they aren't under an
>obligation to answer me. Even if they don't think I'm scum because I'm
>white and/or male.

Perhaps they aren't sure of the cost/benefit ratio of discussing the subject with you. You could making the benefit clearer.

I'm only half-kidding. And while I take your point that you won't learn if someone doesn't school you, and so it's a reasonable expectation in the abstract, it's a favor you're asking of the person in specific. You're really saying, so why was it a bad thing that I spat in your face, and it's reliving the humilitation to answer. Do you know what I'm saying? Explanation is an expression of trust.

And the "even if they don't think I'm scum..." type of statement would trigger my flight reflexes simply because in the context it seems tendentious. I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about thinking people are scum because they're white or male (? I haven't read all the posts in the thread.)

>I do try. I do fail. I do try again.

Beckett said it better. : ) : )

But if I keep getting slapped
>down
>because of my mistakes, and the slapper doesn't tell me what's the problem,
>eventually I find other, more interesting ways to waste my time.

Pavlovian conditioning does work sometimes! But you could also use the context, other people, research etc, i.e. something other than the slapper's remarks, if you really are interested. Perhaps the slapper is looking for you to show signs of effort?

>>Do not blame people of color for your frustration >about
>>racism, but do appreciate the fact that people of color will often >help
>>you
>>get in touch with that frustration.
>
>How? By critique unto alienation?

Right! For colored girls who have considered suicide when triage is enuf!

>>Assume that your effort to be a >good
>>friend is appreciated, but don't expect or accept gratitude from >people
>>of
>>color .
>
>This is generally how I treat anyone. But how can you be a good friend if
>you don't accept gratitude when it is offered?

Um, because you figure the gratitude comes from extreeeeeeeeeemely low expectations of white people?

>>Know that you'll make >mistakes and
>>commit yourself to correcting them and continuing on as an ally, no
>> >matter
>>what.
>
>Despite getting spat upon and abused for honest mistakes?

Well, your honest mistake was to spit on and abuse us, right? Isn't that the case we're discussing? How to deal with racism?

>Fine with me, but if I get the signal that I'm not wanted I go elsewhere.

Well, I think it's one good option. It depends on exactly how negotiable your behavior in any one area is.

>I did find it interesting that she then points out: "Mutual recognition of
>racism, its impact both on those who are dominated and those who dominate,
>is the only standpoint that makes possible an encounter between races that
>is not based on denial and fantasy." So if I'm dominant by virtue of
>history and accidents of birth, the only thing it seems to me I can do if I
>want to help is leave well enough alone.

Uh, you may wish to add the Autobiography of Malcolm X to your reading list.

He offered another option.

Don't act like a racist
>best I can
>but don't have anything to do with people of colour for fear that I
>inadvertantly do something wrong in my ignorance. I'm damned if I do, and
>damned if I don't. What's the point of being friendly towards someone
>who'll just be suspicious of me and my motives because of my colour/sex?

Well, what's the point of me writing this? What's the point of me talking to white people at all? What's the point of being friendly towards someone who will just be racist and then consider it an "honest" mistake? I have friends who basically do not enage with any white person except for professional or commercial transactions. I thought every leftist believed that a better world is possible.

That's why they call me Sister Quasi-Liberal.