Islamism is a fascism? (was "Herman responds")

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Dec 6 06:24:37 PST 2001

Hi,

For a short description of clerical fascism and its roots, including the Austrian "experiment," see:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~velid/cf/wicf.html

They are a bit overbroad in claims for my taste, perhaps too overwrought about Catholicism, but the basic facts are there.

-cb

Lee
> Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 6:01 AM
> To: LBO-Talk
> Subject: Islamism is a fascism? (was "Herman responds")
>

> We can include (many) Spanish Falangists and (Ariel
Sharon's
> buddies) the
> Lebanese Phalangists here too, not to mention Father
Charles
> Coughlin, among
> others. Catholic fascism is a good comparison to some
> varieties of Islamism,
> for several reasons; i.e. my main point was that religious
> fascists are
> their own worst enemy, if their religious powerbase is, by
> its very nature,
> hostile to finance capital.
>
> I doubt whether many of the Catholic fascists, including
> Franco, would have
> been in any way significant without the assistance of
Hitler and/or
> Mussolini (who was never much of a Catholic).
>

> >All true, but clerical fascism was neither Italian
fascism nor German