Hegel & Catch-22 (was Re: Hitchens on genocide)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Dec 6 19:33:55 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> Now, here's a false dilemma in philosophy of history: either you are
> with Hegel (= Hitchens' view of historical progress) or you are with
> Joseph Heller in the world of Catch-22. Identify another option.
> The length of your essay should be approximately 800 words.
> --
> Yoshie

Well, there's the Vonnegut-Sterling scenario whereby we push genetic engineering to the hilt and morph homo-aggressivist-militarist-imperialist into a cross between an Otter and a Koala bear, yet oozes a particular set of chemicals more repugnant than a skunk in order to ward off predators while 'it' only consumes plant material....

Ian