Yoshie's Options: USA or North Korea

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 20:32:12 PST 2001

.>Justin,

>A Latin proverb seems in order about our discussion:
>"De gustibus non est disputandum", or no need arguing
>over tastes.

De gustibus non disputandam est, I believe. "There is no arguing about taste." But if it's a mayyer of taste you say:

>Personally, I prefer either cities that provide a lot
>of cultural activities, or I prefer the country where
>I can enjoy the beauty of nature. For ME, places like
>Columbus are neither/nor.

And that's OK.

f Yoshie enjoys Columbus,
>then that's fine. I will admit though I have to
>strain to believe anybody would like it...but, of
>course, to each his/her own.

This is condescending. I am a native born Columbusite as well as a Buckeye (OSU Law), and I lived there nine years as an adult and like it fine. I moved to Chicago because I liked bright lights and loud noises, but I am more than aware of what the trades and sacrifices were, and they were considerable. But perhaps you don't have kids.

>You are right...there is plenty of urban sprawl to the
>south of San Francisco, and San Jose is one of those
>mediocre cities that I hate....So when I extol San
>Francisco, I mean San Francisco proper.

Frisco is very nice, but it's not part of America. That's part of its charm, to be sure. But if you want to be part of America, you want to be in Detroit or Chicago or Columbus or Atlanta, if you want to be in a city. Or New York: New York is weird and extreme, but it's American. LA is like that too. I like SF, it's the only place in Calif I'd live. But I'd probably go back to Columbus first.

Yours from the City of Big Shoulders. jks