Allies and opponents of US fall silent

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Dec 11 16:08:59 PST 2001

Why us, we didn't create the problem. What are we to do, step up our criticisms of the Bible, Koran, Bhagavad-Gita etc. and reassert a secularism that provides no comfort to those who need something beyond the cosmos itself to have meaningful lives. What's that old Arabic heretical saying that Dostoevsky was fond of stating `if god does not exist everything is permitted'? Ian Murray

Why us?---the effete intellectual snobs---because it's our job. Meanwhile, I still have to actually get through the Bible. I am only up to Samuel. I think, I thank the second century rabbinic scholar who wrote it that, Ruth was short.

It's four, I have to go hit rush hour traffic to find the obscure location in the Presidio that Doug H has managed as a venue in SF---or I would go back to the idea that pomo isn't interested in transcendence. I think it is, despite its so-called protests to the contrary.

Pomo who? Derrida, mainly, maybe Foucault. There is a potentially interesting interview with Foucault on the Iranian Islamic Revolution which I scanned last night. It gave me the idea (Foucault, Politics, Philosophy, Culture, Interviews and other writings 1977-1984, Routledge, NY 1988, `Iran: The Spirit of a World Without Spirit', 211-224p)

Chuck Grimes

ps. What is PODMR?