no theory, sez Chomsky

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Mon Dec 10 13:02:12 PST 2001

|| From: Miles Jackson ||

|| This is a pretty pessimistic view of the theories in social science.

|| We have plenty of examples of reasonable a priori predictions that

|| have been verified by empirical study in the social sciences. For

|| instance, clinical theorists have developed a cognitive theory of

|| depression, suggesting that maladaptive thinking habits (e.g.,

|| selective focus on negative events and negative reactions from

|| others) can provoke and intensify depressive episodes. (...)

|| In what sense is this not valid scientific research?

|| Miles

In many senses: You can't define maladaptive thinking formally. The thought itself and the negative value attributed to it are subjective and culture - specific. Moreover, the term "maladaptive" itself is politically loaded. It assumes that the goal of therapy is to ensure the individual's adaptation to society (assuming also, as a corollary, that social conditions for such adaptation exist: e.g. a classless, non-racist, non-sexist society with full employment).

Hakki