Dems Fold on Ashcroft

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Dec 10 10:24:46 PST 2001

Where was the "fold"? Edwards, Cantwell, Leahy and Feingold are all listed as making tough questions and criticisms of Ashcroft policies. Yep, the hearing did not go as well as hoped because of cautiousness and limits on how long questions could go on from each Senator, but poor strategy is different from "caving." If the Republicans had their way, no hearings would have been held at all.

This silly we have to "depend on Bob Barr" statements gives the few isolated rightwing civil libertarians credit for breathing, while the Dems fighting public accusations of treason for holding a hearing are trashed. With friends like this backing you up, no wonder the Dems are cautious.

Feingold and Leahy especially should be praised to the sky for the steady public defense of civil liberties they have made from day one of this crisis. Sure, they could do more, but any Republican replacement would demonstrably do worse. The Nation article makes that quite clear.

-- Nathan Newman