Dems Fold on Ashcroft

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Mon Dec 10 12:22:58 PST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Nathan Newman wrote:

> I never ever say the Dems act as an "opposition party"- heck, I
> challenge the idea of a unified "party" in the European sense all the
> time. But let's draw some distinctions here-- Leahy did delay passage
> of
> the Patriot Act for weeks and while the end result was still bad, it has
> one crucial amendment, the sunset provision, which means in a few years
> the Right will have to pass the whole thing again, which will give the
> chance to vote it down in a period of hopefully less hysteria.

No not the "whole thing"; please take the time to actually read the enrolled bill (HR 3162). The following are a few of the sections that are exempt from the Sunset provision:

210: Scope of Subpoenas - now includes computer network addresses 213: Secret search warrants 216: Gov't Attys can issue wiretaps by decree

which are some of the nastiest parts of the bill AFA civil liberties are concerned.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 "Hold your fire" - that's what I told the FBI.

-Kool Keith