Dems Fold on Ashcroft

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Mon Dec 10 12:04:02 PST 2001

Nathan:

I agree that statements are mostly symbolism but then so too are final votes-- what matters are the real amendments that have a chance of passage. And the progressive Dems fought tooth-and-nail for a far better alternative and, while they lost, they still managed to force through the sunset provision - an achievement that will matter tremendously over the long run.

After many years of . . . what? Watering down repressive legislation may have its merits, especially in times of stress and hysteria, but the mechanism of repression remains, and once it kicks into gear it takes on a life of its own. I mean, barring full scale abuse of the Patriot Act (abuse that would humble even its staunchest supporters), I really don't see how it will be repealed, given that Bush promises endless war against whatever constitutes "terrorism." How can "we" fight those who wish to destroy "us" if we don't have in place laws that crack down on domestic enemies? I would love to see the Patriot Act flushed in its sunset years, but I'm not holding my breath.

DP