Dems Fold on Ashcroft

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Dec 10 11:39:06 PST 2001

I never ever say the Dems act as an "opposition party"- heck, I challenge the idea of a unified "party" in the European sense all the time. But let's draw some distinctions here-- Leahy did delay passage of the Patriot Act for weeks and while the end result was still bad, it has one crucial amendment, the sunset provision, which means in a few years the Right will have to pass the whole thing again, which will give the chance to vote it down in a period of hopefully less hysteria.

And it is worth noting that in the House, the Dems voted party line against the Patriot Act on the initial procedural vote in favor of a much better alternative. It was only when it was clear that the GOP had the votes to pass it that a lot crossed over to vote in favor. But literally a handful of extra Democrats in the House and the Patriot Act as passed would have been defeated.

I agree that statements are mostly symbolism but then so too are final votes-- what matters are the real amendments that have a chance of passage. And the progressive Dems fought tooth-and-nail for a far better alternative and, while they lost, they still managed to force through the sunset provision - an achievement that will matter tremendously over the long run.

-- Nathan Newman