Allies and opponents of US fall silent

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Dec 11 20:31:02 PST 2001

> What's that old Arabic
>heretical saying that Dostoevsky was fond of stating `if god does not
exist everything is permitted'?

>Ian Murray

Joan Robinson, in Economic Philosophy, had the last word on this:

"This has to be one of the most stupid things ever written.

Whether or not god exists, it still would not be permitted

to drive on the right in London or to drive on the left

in Paris."

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)

Shane Mage