Sara Pursley on "Unveiling the Bushes"

Angelita Manzano angiemanzano at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 09:05:23 PST 2001

> >>Why silence then? Why preoccupation now?

I think your questions assume that there will be opposition to oppression when the conditions of oppression are the worst. If you look at the history of social movements, that's usu. not the case.

Why did this movement became stronger in the late 1990's? Maybe Afghan women in exile became better organized, got more funding, increased communication w/feminists in the US . . . Perhaps your question should be directed to those who have been involved in this movement against fundamentalism?

> or moral imperatives....Such humanitarian NGOs
> [e.g., Amnesty
> International, Oxfam, Medecins sans Frontieres, and
> other orgs for
> relief work and human rights protection] are in
> effect (even if this
> runs counter to the intentions of the participants)
> some of the most
> powerful pacific weapons of the new world order --
> the charitable
> campaigns and the mendicant orders of the Empire"
> (pp. 35-6), whose
> work is comparable to what Christian missionaries
> did for colonialism
> & imperialism in the earlier centuries. I'd include
> Mavis Leno, the
> Feminist Majority Foundation, & the like among "the
> mendicant orders"

So women in the Middle East who are opposed to fundamentalism & ally themselves w/US feminists--are they sellouts or what?