Sara Pursley on "Unveiling the Bushes"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 18 05:47:43 PST 2001

At 9:05 AM -0800 12/17/01, Angelita Manzano wrote:
> > or moral imperatives....Such humanitarian NGOs
>> [e.g., Amnesty
>> International, Oxfam, Medecins sans Frontieres, and
>> other orgs for
>> relief work and human rights protection] are in
>> effect (even if this
>> runs counter to the intentions of the participants)
>> some of the most
>> powerful pacific weapons of the new world order --
>> the charitable
>> campaigns and the mendicant orders of the Empire"
>> (pp. 35-6), whose
>> work is comparable to what Christian missionaries
>> did for colonialism
>> & imperialism in the earlier centuries. I'd include
>> Mavis Leno, the
>> Feminist Majority Foundation, & the like among "the
>> mendicant orders"
>
>So women in the Middle East who are opposed to
>fundamentalism & ally themselves w/US feminists--are
>they sellouts or what?

Surely, Mavis Leno & the Feminist Majority Foundation don't have monopoly on feminism in the USA. There are feminists, and there are feminists.

>I think your questions assume that there will be
>opposition to oppression when the conditions of
>oppression are the worst. If you look at the history
>of social movements, that's usu. not the case.
>
>Why did this movement became stronger in the late
>1990's? Maybe Afghan women in exile became better
>organized, got more funding, increased communication
>w/feminists in the US . . .

Actually, I'd be interested in knowing more about the funding question if you or anyone here cares to expand on it. Who has funded various factions of Afghan women in exile? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>