Shaw on Herman

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 14 13:34:09 PST 2001

From: "Luke Weiger" <lweiger at umich.edu>

> > The fact that a lot people were displaced from their homes during a
civil
> > war doesn't mean ethnic cleansing was going on. I challenge you to name
> > civil war in history that didn't result in mass displacement. There are
> > millions of displaced in Afghanistan now, but nobody claims ethnic
> cleansing
> > is taking place. If anyone has evidence that before late March 1999 the
> > Serbs were trying to execute a policy of permanently changing the ethnic
> > balance of Kosovo,
>
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_104000/104786.stm

This is a link to an article called "Albania accuses Serbia of ethnic cleansing." Is this your evidence? I could show you articles from the same period in which Serb officials accuse the KLA of ethnic cleansing.

> The characterization of Serbian violence against the KLA and its
supporters
> as a civil war holds little more weight than calling the conflict between
> Israel and Hamas et al a civil war.

I thought Israel is fighting Palestinians who live in a foreign land it illegally occupies, whereas the Yugoslav government was fighting Albanians in a province of Yugoslavia. Am I wrong? Aren't civil wars conflicts that happen within sovereign territories? Seth