woah! Mumia!

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Dec 19 08:46:17 PST 2001

The big issue here is mitigating circumstances that juries must be asked to considered. When constitutionally applied, I can't think of any non-premeditated murders or murders not adjunct to a brutal separate crime that have led to a death sentence. Even though a cop is involved, since Mumia is not accused of being involved in any crime at the time of the alleged murder, that brings in all sorts of issues of mitigating circumstances as to why Faulkner's death occurred. The fact that the cop was apparently wailing on Mumia's brother would bring up all sorts of "heat of passion" mitigating issues.

Throw in just the doubts as to what actually occurred at the scene of the crime, which while not directly considered by any jury as to innocence, will still be introduced by the defense (if it comes to that) in challenging claims of the prosecution that there were no mitigating circumstances.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "virgil tibbs" <sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 11:21 AM Subject: RE: woah! Mumia!

Who does the death sentencing? I assume it will be a jury. Then, I would expect Mumia to file for a change in venue saying he could not get a fair jury, UNLESS the pool is likely to bring in a lot of African-Americans. The other issue is: how do Pennsylvania state court judges get to the bench? I would not hold my breath that you will get evenhanded rulings from the bench. Plus, the victim impact statement will be very powerful. The widow has been speaking about this case for years; she knows all of the "facts;" she will be a very powerful presence in the court. Puls, that court will be wall to wall blue.