IRS Abuse

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 22 12:41:17 PST 2001

> On two separate occasions, Hitchens has told me that Cockburn
> is owned by the IRS. You should see what advice "Ace" has to
> offer.
> I'd be interested to hear what he has to say. Maybe this explains
> Cockburn's jealousy when it comes to Hitchens's Vanity Fair gig.
> Peter

Hitch said the same to me. Seems Ace failed to file for a time (at least that's how I remember it) and got nailed. His being "owned" by the IRS I'm sure feeds his sympathy for the militia/rightwing/antistate crowd, and I can see the attraction on this issue. In an age when the tax burden weighs heaviest on average people -- while corporations pay, what, 11-12 percent on their mega-profits? -- being harassed by the IRS leaves a nasty taste.

Thanks to Max S. for his advice. My accountant soothed my nerves yesterday, so things don't seem as dire --till the next round, anyway.

DP