Afghanistan, the U.S. and Pakistan

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Dec 21 15:53:55 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "michael pugliese" <debsian at pacbell.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Cc: <sldrty-l at igc.topica.com> Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 2:42 PM Subject: Afghanistan, the U.S. and Pakistan

> At a windowless, mouseless PC so just follow these ez steps.
> Go to google, type in, "Imtaiz Rafi Butt, " the first hit
> will be from a website of the Afghan resistance. Error decompressing
> the website directly, BUT, just click the CACHE copy that google
> has. The article is from the The Nation in Lahore, December 18th.
> It is the fifth article.
> thanks again to Stuart323 at aol.com for this find. He is on
> an Afghan list @yahoogroups.
> Michael Pugliese

===========

This?

< http://www.pak.gov.pk/public/news/pid/pid_oct052001.htm >

Foreign Office spokesman says, the evidence, relating to the terrorist attacks in the US, provided by the United States provides sufficient basis for indictment of Osama bin Laden in a court of law and it should now be shared internationally.(News/Jang).

It is reliably learnt, President General Pervez Musharraf has held discussions with his colleagues and consultants over the evidences against Osama bin Laden provided by the US.(N.Waqt). President General Pervez Musharraf held day long series of meetings with his foreign affairs and security aides in Islamabad on October 04, 2001 hours before the arrival of British Prime Minister Tony Blair in Pakistan to hold some very crucial discussions with Pakistani authorities; calls JCSC, commanders meeting on Monday.(Pak. Observer).

The Foreign Office on October 04, 2001 termed the so-called hijacking of an Indian airliner "total farce" and an attempt to malign Pakistan and the freedom struggle of Kashmiri people.(Dawn).

Unknown assailants attacked an Imam Bargah in Azam Basti, Karachi and killed 5 worshippers on the spot and injured many on October 04, 2001 evening.(F.Post). President General Pervez Musharraf has condemned recent killing of innocent people in Karachi and termed it a coward attack.(Khabrain).

British Prime Minister Tony Blair is arriving in Islamabad on October 05, 2001 afternoon on a five-hour working visit carrying a diplomatic bag full of proposals to address Afghanistan crisis and discuss the core Kashmir issue between Pakistan and India, reliable sources told the daily.(Nation).

Pakistan is likely to suffer a loss of nearly 200 million dollars over the next 12 months as a result of the decisions taken in the last week of September by the London-based Joint War Committee of Underwriters (JWCU) regarding war risk surcharge for ships.(Dawn).

Former Afghan monarch Mohammed Zahir Shah on October 04, 2001 received the first direct contact from President General Pervez Musharraf on plans to form a post-Taliban government in Afghanistan.(Dawn). The former Afghan monarch Zahir Shah has laid stress on close relations with Pakistan.(F.Post).

President George Bush on October 04, 2001 announced $ 320 million additional humanitarian assistance for the people of Afghanistan and to help neighboring nations including Pakistan to deal with 'the influx of Afghans fleeing from their country".(News). Says 150 terrorists linked with Al-Qaeda have been detected; according to 'Online'.(Khabrain).

Chinese President Jiang Zemin has announced an emergency aid of $ 1.21 million for Pakistan and fully backed President Pervez Musharraf's efforts to combat terrorism.(News).

Afghan Minister, Hussain Akhund has said in Khost that if Pakistan gives air bases to the US, Afghani Mujahideen would attack on these bases. He said, Pakistan should refuse to give air bases to the US in order to maintain friendship with Afghanistan.(Khabrain/ANN).

Authorities have cracked down on tens of thousands of Afghan refugees in Karachi ahead of anticipated US strikes on Afghanistan in pursuit of Osama bin Laden.

Health authorities have sounded an alert fearing an outbreak of communicable disease as hundreds of Afghan refugees keep pouring into Rawalpindi district.(Dawn).

The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee on October 04, 2001 unanimously approved a draft bill for Congressional approval that would enable President George Bush to temporarily waive the remaining sanctions against Pakistan.(Dawn).

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is visiting Pakistan secretly over the weekend to drum up support for US plan to attack Afghanistan.(Nation).

America would reportedly include Kashmiri Jehadi organizations in the list of terrorists, sources said.(Khabrain).

Pakistan has banned its airspace above 30,000 feet and ordered all the fights using the country's airspace to fly at the same or below this altitude, reliable sources said.(News).

Colin Powel has said, we are concerned over Indo-Pak tension; separatists have not been declared as terrorists.(Dawn/Khabrain). President Musharraf is confident of his stay in power and his ability to keep protest launched by religious parties under control, he added.(News).

The United Nations revealed on October 04, 2001 that the Taliban had closed off several of its offices in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad.(News).

The World Bank is likely to relax conditions for the $350 million loan to the government of Pakistan for restructuring and liberalization of the power sector in the wake of country's frontline involvement in the US war on terrorism, sources said.(Nation).

The Taliban will not hand over Osama bin Laden to the United States even if they are given proof of his involvement in terror attacks in the US, the Afghanistan Ambassador to Pakistan said in comments published on October 04, 2001.(Nation/AFP).

NATO on October 04, 2001 approved a list of US requests for help to mount a military response to the September 11 terrorist attacks, a source said.(News).

ISPR Director General Maj. Gen. Rashid Qureshi, while reacting to remarks by Occupied Kashmiri puppet CM Farooq Abdullah asking India to attack the alleged camps of Kashmiri Mujahid groups in Pakistan, has said that it is extremely irresponsible statement and an attempt to hide his own problems.(Nation).

Federal Minister for Religious Affairs, Dr. Mahmood Ahmad Ghazi on October 04, 2001 told US Ambassador Wendy Chamberlin that deeni madaris (religious seminaries) in Pakistan were not involved in any kind of terrorism.(Nation).

Ministry of Interior has said, Al-Rasheed Trust has nothing to do with terrorism.(Khabrain).

Federal Finance Minister, Shaukat Aziz, has said, defence budget could be increased in view of the present situation faced by Pakistan.(N.Waqt/Khabrain). Additional defence costs and revenue slippage would be covered by direct grants from the United States and its allies in the war against terrorism.(News).

America would attack on Afghanistan before October 8; some US allies have refused to assault on Afghanistan and US military operational plan becomes difficult; Expected military advancement would be initiated before Ramzan-ul-Mubarak, Western Defence experts report.(Ausaf).

The daily News, in its editorial, titled "Minimum Wage", opines: The increase in the wage of workers will bring a heave of relief to them and mitigate their miseries.

The daily Nation, in its editorial, titled "Shift in Afghan policy", views: Islamabad should try to help install a regime in Kabul friendly to Pakistan. The least it should ensure is that the new government is not hostile to it.

Imtaiz Rafi Butt, in is article, in the daily Jang, appreciates the government for endorsing the US efforts to grapple with the terrorism.

Nafees Siddiqi, in his article, in the daily Jang, exhorts: The government should review its cabinet members performance and try to overhaul their efficiency if wants the nation to be united.

M.A. Niazi, in his column, titled "At penpoint, in the daily Nation, remarks: Pakistan is apparently digging itself into a trench where the only force holding off a hostile Afghan government will be the USA. The chortling in Islamabad will turn once again to squawking when, after the USA feels it has achieved its objectives in Afghanistan, and Pakistan has received payment for services rendered, it can resume its long-term strategy in South Asia.

Kashmir News

Kashmir freedom struggle indigenous: Sikandar

Prime Minister of AJK Sardar Sikandar Hayat Khan has said that the on-going freedom movement in Held Jammu and Kashmir cannot be suppressed though state terrorism. Addressing large gathering in Neelum Valley on October 04, 2001 he said Indian authorities have been maligning the Kashmiri freedom movement and propagating it as the terrorist movement. He said the fact is that India herself is committing state terrorism in Held Jammu and Kashmir where more than 80,000 people have been killed at the hands of the Indian security forces. He said the people of Jammu and Kashmir have been struggling for their right of self-determination while the Indian authorities have inflicted state terrorism on them.(Nation).

Delhi accused of sponsoring HR abuses in IHK

Dr. Farooq Abdullah's National Conference has accused the New Delhi government of hatching a conspiracy to defame puppet administration by giving free hand to military forces to go on a killing spree against the common people. Provincial President of the pro-Indian ruling party and member of the Legislative Council Ghulam Nabi Shaheen speaking during zero hour in the Upper House said hard line elements in the Indian government are encouraging military forces to resort to human rights abuses in the state. "There is a big conspiracy going on to defame the state administration. Any custodial death or any other human rights violations has direct bearing on the state administration. New Delhi should rein in military forces and reprimand them if they resort to human rights abuses", said Shaheen.(Nation).

APHC calls for international probe into LA tragedy

Describing as regrettable and tragic the loss of life in Monday's attack on the assembly complex, the All Parties Hurriyat Conference has asked India to give up its "intention of deriving political and diplomatic mileage from the tragedy" and give priority to resolving the Kashmir issue. "The APHC has the principled stand that spilling of innocent blood in context of the Kashmir issue, whenever and whoever it might take place, should be strongly condemned and got investigated through an international agency," the multi-party combine said in a statement, adding that no right thinking person could approve of loss of human lives. "The Hurriyat's stand with respect to such tragic incidents has always been in strict conformity with human values," the statement said. "The loss of lives within and without the so-called assembly on Monday is regrettable and tragic. The Hurriyat shares the grief of the bereaved families." He said, Hurriyat has always stood against the innocent killings and bloodbath. The spokesman urged the international community to investigate the matter and fix the matter and fix the responsibility.(Nation).

Indian forces behind blast, say LA employees

In a major turn of events the employees of occupied Kashmir's puppet assembly have held the Indian forces solely responsible for killing their colleagues during Monday's car bomb blast at the assembly building. According to Kashmir Media Service, the assembly employees have questioned the official version of Monday's incident, which held Mujahideen responsible. They have demanded a probe in the killings. The employees also staged a sit-in inside the assembly complex and raised slogans against the Indian government, its forces and the puppet Farooq Abdullah regime.(Nation).

Courts in IHK observe strike

The courts in Occupied Kashmir on October 04, 2001 observed a complete shutdown against the killing of assembly employees by Indian forces personnel on Monday. The court's strike will continue on October 04, 2001 also.(Nation).