Kate Beckinsale

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Dec 22 11:37:55 PST 2001

Okay, I have a new favorite actress. Granted, her most recent films have stunk (Pearl Harbor, Brokedown Palace) The Alice in Wonderland film she starred in was great. I liked Last Days of Disco, too. http://www.observer.co.uk/screen/story/0,6903,619426,00.html

"I hope that is the case but I fear that it might not be. When it first happened we were completely freaked out and terrified and upset and obviously got all the [Noam] Chomsky books out and were reading like mad. But it's alarming how normal everything feels again now. I find it very difficult to get a good news channel here that tells you what is going on, and that makes me feel even more vulnerable and longing to get back home and put Channel 4 news on."

http://thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011217&s=hitchens In a recent column, Hitchens quotes from Chomsky's October 11th talk at MIT: "I'll talk about the situation in Afghanistan.... Looks like what's happening is some sort of silent genocide.... It indicates that whatever, what will happen we don't know, but plans are being made and programs implemented on the assumption that they may lead to the death of several million people in the next--in the next couple of weeks.... very casually with no comment.... we are in the midst of apparently trying to murder three or four million people." Was Chomsky crying wolf? Does anyone remember that Chomsky appearance? I remember his Zmag cohorts were arguing that the War gang was going to blockade Afghanistan a la Iraq.

Peter