Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 22 20:54:33 PST 2001

Juan Jose Barrios wrote:

> [CLIP]
> Thomas Seay wrote:
>
> > In Empire, Negri and Hardt posit that there is no
> > outside to Empire...we are all embedded in the nexus
> > of global capital and there is no longer an escape
> > route through a struggle known as "national
> > liberation".
> >
> > Now we have seen a heroic revolt in Argentina this
> > week, but one has to wonder how even the best
> > intentioned group that came to power could free the
> > country from the clamps of the IMF and World Bank. Is
> > it possible or impossible...and what are the political
> > implications of this? I would like to hear from
> > everyone but am especially interested in the
> > economists perspectives.

I have seen nothing that reveals the utter vacuousness, the core viciousness, of Negri & Hardt as this post by one of their admirers does. After this it is superfluous to attack the book. One might as well waste one's breath exposing a 19th century tirade against freemasonry.

I don't know what the intentions of Negri & Hardt were, and I have ceased to be very interested in what its admiring readers get from it, but it looks very much to me as a banal replay of the traditional tune of the ultra-left: All is hopeless. Struggle is pointless.

Carro