Cockburn/St. Clair: Enron and the Green Seal

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 23 09:03:26 PST 2001

Chris Kromm wrote:

>While people on this list bleat on about how A. Cockburn is too hard on
>liberals, here he shows just why he has to write such pieces -- this one
>taking the environmental establishment to task for being in bed with Enron.

I'm guessing that A. Cockburn had less to do with that piece than J. St Clair, but hey, Ace is a renaissance man with a workshop approach to composition, and we shouldn't get all hung up on bourgeois notions of authorship and individuality.

Yeah, it sucks that the enviro establishment was in bed with Enron. But is that really the heart of the Enron story? It'd be so banal, I know, to write about Enron's links to Bush, which were far more important, and to the free market/deregulation lobby too. But then you might end up half-agreeing with Paul Krugman, which no self-respecting woodsman would want to do.

Doug