A Modest Proposal for The Empire 9

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 23 18:03:57 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal for The Empire 9
>Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:10:42 -0500
>
>It took nine long quotes to make what point? That some right-wingers
>are nostalgic for 19C colonialism? What's next, an 18-parter showing
>that bourgeois economists are insensitive to human need?

May I conclude from your remarks that you think these are obvious points that require no references? Would you say that they are obvious to the world at large or the world of leftist discussion? Would you say that there is a common minimum program of assertions (of which the above propositions form a part) to which self-identified leftists subscribe? Would you say that a response to nostalgia for 19C colonialism would be a part?

I ask because I'm not sure that I have any idea what those commonly agreed assertions would be: rather, I would have guessed the proposition "bourgeois economists are insensitive to human need" would be a controversial statement rather than an obvious point. I would be entirely unable to guess at what the common leftist response to nostalgia for colonialism be. Perhaps Yoshie felt similarly!

Anyway, I found the series useful as reference.