Cockburn/St. Clair: Enron and the Green Seal

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 23 17:37:26 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Cockburn/St. Clair: Enron and the Green Seal
>Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:03:26 -0500

>Yeah, it sucks that the enviro establishment was in bed with Enron.
>But is that really the heart of the Enron story? It'd be so banal, I
>know, to write about Enron's links to Bush, which were far more
>important, and to the free market/deregulation lobby too.

I wonder if the question of banality really is the point. When one (I'd say "you" because "one" sounds stilted in English, but the last time I said "you", someone thought I was literally accusing the person whose post to which I was responding of conducting genocides, so now I tread more carefully...) has established oneself as a fearless contrarian, perhaps one becomes restless at having to assent to even the most unquestionable commonplaces simply because they are commonplace.

I sometimes wonder if certain people choose their leftist politics simply because they enjoy dissenting from more popular convictions, and when they acquire a circle of like-minded people, they find themselves put upon to dissent again, no matter how it contradicts their own previous statements, because agreement is too much like conformity.