A Modest Proposal for The Empire

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 25 10:48:20 PST 2001

>Empire and Capital have been very busy erasing the world and its
>people for a very long time. They have been performing WTC scale
>destructions on a vast and routine basis and calling it development
>and progress. That's why bin Laden and others decided to do something
>like crash into the WTC towers. That's the whole reason in a
>nutshell---do unto Empire as Empire has done unto you...

Truly the words of a truly sick and malignant fuck.

Killing a lot of dishwashers, cooks, janitors, secretaries, travel agents--and a few bond traders--is not doing anything "unto Empire." It is murdering a lot of dishwashers, cooks, janitors, secretaries, travel agents, and a few bond traders.

>...to re-create and resuscitate in my own mind, a world of the
>best that my culture has managed to produce in its arts, sciences,
>philosophies, and technology---and keep this imaginary world clearly
>separated from the absurdly evil and destructive processes of Empire
>that surround me in my own absolute isolation--in something like the
>alternate underground community in the tech-noir film, Fahrenheit
>491...
>

>Chuck Grimes

IMHO, at least, Ray Bradbury's novel _Fahrenheit 451_--from which a so-so movie was made--is indeed one of the best creations of twentieth century world culture. 451. The number is important...

Brad DeLong